Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Heritage Day


Friday, February 1st was Heritage Day at Zachary's school for the pre-schoolers. All week they had been learning about different family traditions, cultures, and backgrounds. The week culminated in a presentation with a reading of "Fiesta" and a party where the children (and family) were invited to bring a favorite cultural/heritage dish.


Zachary wanted me to bring nuggets and although technically not part of his Irish/Italian/English heritage, I did pause seriously considering the request. As it is one of the 4 menu items Zachary will eat, perhaps nuggets are part of HIS heritage. His second request was to bring Skittles.


Originally, I was planning to make Irish soda bread as Zachary is mostly of Irish descent. But then I heard from another mother "oh, you are bringing soda bread too?", I decided against it. I wracked my brain to figure out another Irish dish but neither boiled potatoes, corned beef, nor cabbage sounded all that appealing. So I went to the Italian side and decided to bring double chocolate biscotti... Zack's class enjoyed them, he wouldn't try them, of course, but the others liked them....I tried to explain to Zachary that due to his mother's and father's obsession with chocolate, and the fact that I ate chocolate every day when pregnant with him, technically chocolate is his heritage. He wasn't buying it...


To represent the Irish and English heritage, we brought Grandma Edie... Here she is pictured with Zachary. Please note the look on his face as he wouldn't try a single bite of anything whereas Grandma ate everything we gave her and put it in her hollow leg...

No comments: